Saturday, February 25, 2006

THE A,B,Cs OF ACCESSIBILITY: MAKING A WEDDING APPROACHABLE (AND FUN) (PART IV - LESS IS MORE!)

Wow. I seemed to create a little bit of controversy with my last post--or at least a lot of conversation! I'm very happy to see it--please keep your thoughts coming. As I've said before, I'd like my "little island on the internet" to be somewhere you all feel comfortable hanging out and sharing your opinion!!!

As far as the accessibility/fun factor, I DO recognize that there are certain issues that come into play like EXPENSE and DIFFICULTY IN BREAKING WITH TRADITION/IGNORING THE WISHES OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

I also realize that it's not about the little details of the wedding--the "extras" so to speak--that make the wedding meaningful (like the napkin holders and the wedding favors).

However, I do hold fast to the LESS IS MORE concept. I don't think you have to do anything so extreme or different in order to get attention.

Nevertheless, when I'm talking about the little details, I do believe that LESS is MORE, and having one or two elements that are unique--whether AT THE CEREMONY OR RECEPTION--are more than acceptable. Fun doesn't *always* have to mean *out there* -- it's all about how you PRESENT your choices. Too much "funness" (I know that's not a word, but just go with it!) may come off a little zany and weird.

I do acknowledge that in many cases, brides aren't necessarily footing the bill for the affair (and are getting help from family and, in some cases, friends). And in several situations, "fun" = "too expensive." (Good point made by the reader from outside the US, where certain ideas, like the cupcake cake, are more expensive...)

However, I want to emphasize that I don't think that Traditional equates to Boring -- I think doing things in a traditional manner is lovely, and there are so many beautiful elements of the ceremony and reception, that, when done "by the book", are classic and classy.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you should BE TRUE TO YOURSELF -- traditional can be beautiful, and if you feel that the expense of doing something Accessible and Fun--both money-wise and in terms of upsetting your mother, mother-in-law, etc.--would ruffle the feathers of those you want to make happy, then there's no reason to part with tradition.

However, adding something a little different, if it's a feasible alternative, is always an interesting twist. If you are comfortable with it (and it's not going to bear such an incredible burden) -- go for it!

Ultimately, though, those who have commented are right -- the wedding isn't about the little details, it's about the bride and groom and the happiness we are all sharing with them.

I wanted to provide some alternative options, though, in case anyone wanted to do something a little off-the-beaten-path. However, keep in mind these are only suggestions about adding different elements, not a commentary that traditional is boring. I don't want to give value judgments about your choices--only offer up different ideas in order to have you think about what your choices really are.

My role as The Wedding Fairy isn't to evaluate--but to hopefully help out and provide information that may be relevant or useful to some of you out there!

Stay tuned!

No comments: