Monday, April 17, 2006

KIDS + WEDDINGS = ? (PART II)

I thought a previous comment was intriguing when it came to this subject of children, as it raised a lot of questions when it comes to how we think about having children at our ceremonies and receptions.

"Here in France, the wedding party is made up almost entirely of kids... I think it would be pretty unheard of to say No Children Allowed... In general, the whole approach to weddings is much more relaxed. You don't have to have a church ceremony if you don't want to...you don't have a rehearsal and rehearsal dinner the night before, everything does not have to be absolutely perfect or else your marriage is ruined, etc...."

Megan, can you come to the States and instill some of that laid-backness (or, perhaps should I say HEALTHY attitude) into weddings here in the U.S.?

It's interesting that the subject of children seems to be a very cultural question--I certainly like hearing the point of view of those who are not in the States (since I take on many of these subjects with my own cultural viewpoint--not only am I an American, but a New Yorker--much of my perspective comes from what I see in the States--and in the City!); it provides for a much richer discussion.

I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge that many of these issues--particularly as regards children--are going to result in VERY different opinions--both as a result of cultural norms (i.e. what is acceptable or the standard in the States versus other countries) AND due to the fact that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to this subject. Some people love kids--some people hate 'em -- this isn't as clear-cut as some of the other issues I've raised....

Tomorrow I'll be back with specific thoughts based on children's age and type of wedding.

Stay tuned!

No comments: