Wednesday, May 10, 2006

WEATHER WORRIES (PART II): THE "SQUISHY TOES" EFFECT


So, it seems that my posts about the weather have struck some sort of chord, and I feel strongly that this is one of those universal issues that affects every wedding--no matter how lavish or simple the affair.

I was talking with my mom, who happened to mention that one of her friends recently attended an event that involved a TENT. DUH DUH DUH DUHHHHHH!!!

For some reason, this word seems to evoke fright and nervousness, because of the immediate association when one hears the word TENT? What's that, you ask? TENT = RAIN.

It is true that many people decide to have TENTS for outdoor weddings in order to avoid rainy day situations. Although it is nice to think that tents are the be-all, end-all solution to an outdoor wedding that may be plagued with rain, it's simply not the case.

My mother was telling me about how her friend's experience with a tent did NOT keep her high and dry. Apparently, the tent only shielded guests from directly feeling the rain--but did nothing to avoid the muddy grass, which led to what I have coined the SQUISHY TOES EFFECT.

From what my mom told me, her friend was walking around in her high heels at a black tie affair, trying to avoid stepping in the sinking grass, but the effort was fruitless. The grass, due to the moisture in the air and the drips and drabs of the rain that somehow managed to creep in, was completely squishy, mushy, and--well, gross.

My mom's friend said that everyone was walking around in the sinking ground, and that the tent did nothing to alleviate the problem of the rain (except from directly hitting them).

What's my point? Beware of the SQUISHY TOES effect. No one wants to deal with that kind of situation (even when they're at a picnic--let alone a wedding!), and you have to account for these kinds of things--even if the back-up plan is a tent in order to avoid having guests get rained on AND there is somehow a floor that is put down in anticipation of this problem. I'm sure much of the tent issue depends on the quality and price you are willing to spend -- but these things happen even if you and your fiance are spending all the money in the world.

I'm sure some of you are planning outdoor weddings, so I thought I'd throw out something that had to do with what many believe to be a solid back-up, Plan B, alternative. Always good to challenge convention to get people thinking!

Stay tuned!






No comments: