Sunday, June 18, 2006

99 BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL: ALCOHOL AT YOUR WEDDING (PART III)

As a side note (but still relevant to the alcohol discussion), I do want to emphasize and reiterate that while I take into account the thoughts and opinions of my friends, colleagues, and random acquaintances, much of my commentary stems from my own experiences--and these experiences have shaped my very individual perspective.

Having said that, I appreciate--and encourage--dialogue about how things are done in different places -- for example, I find it very interesting to hear about the social patterns and societal norms in Australia, in addition to the other countries readers are tuning in from. Things may even be different in various parts of the U.S. (I am sure they are!), and there is certainly a diverse range of issues that arise (which may be different from what I've seen). I hope these posts, are in some form, conversations--rather than my lecturing about what is "right" - while I do have my opinions, I certainly welcome others--and hearing about how you've formed them!

Anyway, back to alcohol. One thing that I think is important is to know what you're serving--and why. If you are having the reception site serve alcohol (in addition to beer and wine), planning ahead is a good way to ensure that your guests will not only be happy with what they've ordered from the bartender (i.e. rum and diet coke) but pleasantly surprised with the cocktails you've chosen in advance to be the "highlights".

Having one or two "signature" drinks is a neat way of defining your wedding--and your own tastes. Appletini? Perhaps a Kir Royale (especially if it's during the winter holiday season)? Depending on your budget and your personal style, you may find that having "pre-ordered" (i.e. planned in advance with the caterer or whomever is in charge of the bar) cocktails are a great way to distinguish your wedding from others.

For example, if your wedding is in the summer, deciding on "beachy" types of drinks (for example, different flavors of margaritas or seabreezes) may help set the mood or theme of your wedding -- even down to the actual color of the drink and the type of alcohol used.

While this advice may not be surprising to some, "signature" cocktails are an important thing to think about in terms of style, price, and what you think your guests (and YOU!) will enjoy.... while it's perfectly standard to have beer and wine -- if you decide to throw alcohol into the mix, keeping these cocktails in the mix will make your wedding "signature" as well.

1 comment:

Dataceptionist said...

I love the idea of a signature cocktail. I've seen that at 21st's and such, but not at a wedding. I'd love that!