Friday, July 28, 2006

A PSA FROM THE WEDDING FAIRY

Hey everyone....

I normally limit my entries to the do's and don'ts of wedding planning (and the "real" etiquette that accompanies such planning), but when news of a very good cause falls into my lap (or, in this case, into my email inbox), I feel compelled to share it with readers.

If any of you live in NYC (or nearby), definitely check out the
BRIDES AGAINST BREAST CANCER WEDDING GOWN SALE, which will be held August 17-19 in Manhattan.

This event is a sale where brides can shop for the perfect gown--all the while helping and supporting individuals with terminal breast cancer, as well as their families.

The proceeds of the sale will benefit MAKING MEMORIES,
a foundation dedicated to helping terminally ill breast cancer patients.
The BRIDES AGAINST BREAST CANCER WEDDING GOWN SALE features new and used designer gowns--which are normally priced up to $15,000--starting at a mere $250!

The event kicks off with a VIP preview sale on August 17th, featuring gowns donated from
designers including Anne Barge, Carolina Herrera, Paula Varsalona, and stores including Kleinfelds and Mark Ingram.

At the VIP event, guests will be treated to gift bags, a free cocktail hour, and a raffle--including prizes like a $1,000.00 Confetti Cake, custom menu card design by SonicStefdesigns, and romantic, 5 night Honeymoon at Raffles Resort in Canoun Island.

The organization is still looking for volunteers to help at the event, as well as individual donations from brides who want to donate their dress. If you're interested, please see below for more information....

My helpful source noted about her own experiences: "I bought my wedding dress at a store where all the proceeds went to charity, and I can honestly say that of all the money that got spent on our NYC wedding, it was so nice to know that part of it went to something bigger than
just my day and my wedding... this organization allows something so special as a wedding dress go towards creating a special memory for a woman and her family."

For more information about buying tickets to the VIP event, please visit www.makingmemories.org - there is a link to the NYC event, as well as a calendar of events for other gown sales around the country. Looking to donate? The website will help you with that as well. I have also just learned that the organization has scored a MAJOR donation from a top couture designer (wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses and accessories) for the NYC event and may be in attendance as well.... Who is the big donation from? Vera Wang? Kenneth Poole? I don't have the answer (honest, I don't!), but go and see for yourself!

Please check out this organization, and/or the events listed on the website -- this is such a good cause, ladies, and something that you can enjoy while knowing you're helping others.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Twistie said...

What a fabulous idea! Your post makes me wish I was getting married now...and lived in NYC. I wonder if there are similar events in other cities.

At any rate, I wish the organizers all success and the shoppers best of luck at finding the gowns of their dreams.

the wedding fairy said...

Hey Twistie,

Definitely check out the website link I mentioned, as there are definitely other events (similar to the one I described) going on in other cities...maybe one of them is near you! And even if you aren't getting married now, it doesn't hurt to window shop!!!