Sunday, July 16, 2006

Q+A WITH THE WEDDING FAIRY (PART II)

Thanks for the responses, ladies, to my last q/a post -- I think that reader got a lot out of the additional commentary!

Here's another (more food for thought):

"I recently went to a wedding where the band played REALLLLLY LONNNNNNNG songs. After going up to dance a few times, I sort of got tired out by the whole thing, 'cause we'd be dancing to the same song for like 15 minutes! Maybe not literally... but it felt that way. My wedding is coming up and I guess I don't know if it's being a bridezilla to ask the band to play short, snappy songs? Is this a weird request?"

Interesting question, and one I didn't address in my posts about WEDDING BANDS (the music, that is, not the jewelry).

What I DID say back then, and what I'd say now to this reader, is that with regard to bands, you should DEFINITELY not choose a Laissez-faire/Que Sera Sera approach (or, as I would call it, the approach of the LBB = Laid Back Bride).

TALK to your band. TELL them what you're looking for. If you want short, two minute songs? That's YOUR call. Wedding bands and DJs cost a LOT of money (probably one of the most expensive aspects of a wedding, at least from what I've seen), so you should get what you pay for, so to speak. If you aren't paying for long songs, then you need to talk to your band, in ADVANCE (i.e. months, not weeks -- and then keep reminding them).

I'm sure some of you are wondering why I take such a hard line when it comes to bands -- in terms of being a more high maintenance bride. A lot of it has to do w/ the guests, of course.

If guests aren't having fun, then what good are beautiful centerpieces or the perfect cake?
The band/DJ is one of the most important parts of the celebration, so as Burger King says, HAVE IT YOUR WAY.

I actually tend to agree w/ this reader when it comes to short and sweet songs -- rather than long ones. Why? Guests have short attention spans. I know I do, and this reader seemed to as well. Don't blame us - just acccommodate us! Having shorter songs is a way to keep people on the dance floor, and guessing as to what will come on next. Is it the worst thing in the world if you have a 7 minute song? No. But avoiding long-ish songs--or at least interspersing them throughout the evening-is a way to keep people going (rather than lulling them to sleep).

Anyway, thank you for the question... keep them coming!

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Twistie said...

I heartily second this advice. A lot of brides are too frightened of the Bridezilla label. Making sure the professionals you hire are going to do what you want them to is simply making certain a contract is going to be fulfilled adequately. As long as you approach the question in an adult manner, you shouldn't be berated for it. If a 'professional' calls you names for being explicit about your needs, then that's someone you wouldn't want to deal with at your wedding anyway.

Be clear, be firm, be polite, and don't let yourself be bullied by the fear of being unfairly labelled.