Sunday, December 03, 2006

THE WEDDING FAIRY RETURNS: "LET THEM EAT (WEDDING) CAKE": PART I

Good evening. I have returned from my hiatus, and I appreciate your staying with me while I've been away. Although I've been working my little tail off, I haven't left what I love to do in my spare time --writing about weddings (and while I've been "away", I've been doing a lot of research into the nuts and bolts of wedding planning).

For the past few weeks, I've focused less on etiquette-related subject matter and indulged in learning about the straight-up aspects of planning. And why not? Although I'm (a) not engaged or (b) a paid wedding-planner, I find that looking at the various elements of a wedding leads me to understand bridal behavior--and how planning affects treatment of guests/what guests end up looking when they think about what makes a fun wedding.

What have I been particularly obsessed with? Cakes. For some reason, dresses, flowers, and table settings take a back seat to my persual of the hundreds of wedding cakes on The Wedding Channel. Square ones or circular ones? Fondant? Buttercream? Artificial Flowers or Real Flowers? Conventional or Funky?

I think that choosing a cake is almost like picking a piece of art work -- there is an impressive level of craftmanship that goes into a beautiful cake, and it's an interesting conversation piece--even after the last piece is eaten.

For those of you searching for the perfect cake: definitely check out The Wedding Channel--they have wonderful photographs to help you get a feel or what you're looking for.

I think something important to remember is that there is no paint-by-numbers to picking a cake. The days of conservative, white wedding cakes are a thing of the past (if that's your style, that's great, but it's certainly not required), and guests (believe me, I do) really enjoy seeing (and tasting) something new and different.

So hot pink (like the cake pictured here) may not be your thing. Understandable. Just remember that maintaining that element of fun is part of the modern day wedding, and if you're enjoying yourself (and perhaps not taking yourself so seriously), then your guests definitely will, too.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had the traditional French Pièce Montée- stacked cream puffs covered in caramel. Usually they are in the shape of a cone, but we had it in the shape of the chateau where we had the reception. It was different and the American guests really enjoyed it. I still sorta missed having a regular cake though!
Megan

Angie said...

Yay, welcome back! We're doing cupcakes for our cake. Should be fun. :)

chrissie said...

Glad to see you're back! I have commented before, but am now planning a wedding of my own.

We will have a cake as the centerpiece of each table. That way we have lots of flavors, and it encourages guests to mingle.