Tuesday, February 20, 2007

WHAT SEX AND THE CITY HAS TAUGHT ME ABOUT WEDDINGS: AN INTRODUCTION

I don't know about you guys, but I have a longing on Sunday evenings. There's a small--but present--vacancy in my weekends, which has resulted from my lack of Sex and the City (SATC) fix. While shows like "Dexter" have filled the void, I still miss the frivolous fashion and the fun story lines that SATC provided.

Wedding Fairy, you say -- it's been several years now -- get over it!!

Or, you may say: Wedding Fairy, can't you satisfy yourself with the TBS re-runs, or DVDs you can buy at Border's?

Fair enough, would be my reply.

But there was something truly fun about getting a group of my friends together on a Sunday evening (with ice cream to boot) and seeing what was going on with Carrie, Mr. Big, and the crew (AND seeing what RIDICULOUS shoe purchase Carrie made that day -- and how high her Manolo Blahnik stilettos would be).

In Carrie's quest to find her true love, we learned a lot about weddings (the do's and don'ts according to Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha), as well as the unique links to Manhattan that resulted.

The following series is going to run the gamut (since there are several topics--rather than themes--to discuss), but I think it'll be interesting to see specific "takes" on weddings through the eyes of these women. Sure, they're fictional -- but they also represent independent, strong females (who live in Manhattan -- while I certainly am not writing for the Manhattan woman, I AM one, as are friends who have gotten engaged/married--so I feel like it's relevant here to take that into account). While we all may not be buying Manolos in bulk as Carrie does, why not take a look at weddings from the SATC perspective? And see how far apart from reality these perspectives actually are?

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

JR said...

Hi, I chanced upon your wedding website and I love it...will keep on reading it...anyway, I have put a link at my blog...will u be able to put my link in your site too?

The Wedding Fairy said...

So glad you are enjoying the site! I absolutely will post your link. I'm having some technical difficulties right now, but bear with me, and I'll get that posted very soon!