Sunday, March 25, 2007

WHAT SEX AND THE CITY TAUGHT ME ABOUT WEDDINGS (PART II)

In an effort to get back to my Sex and the City (SATC) series, I thought I'd begin with a very basic question: When is saying "I DO" a DON'T?

It's interesting to look at the storyline focusing on Carrie and Aidan. Aidan (particularly the "new and improved" -- i.e. clean shaven, buff, Aidan, when Carrie gets back together with him) is adorable. Attentive. Basically, in a nutshell? A teddy bear. And COMPLETELY and UTTERLY into Carrie.

Yet, for some reason, Carrie couldn't fully commit--even when she was fully committed. As a viewer, it made me angry when she began wearing her engagement ring on her necklace. Mr. Big was always somewhere in Carrie's consciousness. She always seemed to want what she couldn't have -- and Mr. Big was the epitome of that idea.

It may not have made sense to viewers (or even to me) why Carrie couldn't give herself completely to Aidan, but I guess it made sense to her. While it wasn't as if she stopped wearing her ring completely, shifting it to her necklace was a way for Carrie to distance herself from the commitment she had just made. Obviously, that was symbolic of her hidden unhappiness. While I'm sure there are women out there who wear rings differently (or not at all) - and are happily engaged - this behavior was indicative of Carrie's hesitance. I loved those particular episodes of SATC because they were very telling about the state of Carrie/Aidan's relationship - and the concept that everything being perfect on paper may not be perfect in real life. I always hope that women getting married do so for the right reasons -- unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, but here's hoping, right?

As for me, I can't stop looking at my ring. It's on my finger (not necklace!), and when I put it on my nightstand before falling asleep, I always make sure it's there before I doze off (I've even woken up in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, because I forgot I took it off, and was worried I had misplaced it!). I adore it because TallGuy did a wonderful job choosing it, and I absolutely love the ring itself but even more so, I love what it represents. I'm excited for what the future holds, and I'm excited to share it all with you guys!

Stay tuned for more SATC thoughts (next up: the contrast of Charlotte's "perfect" wedding (with Trey), and her "perfectly real" wedding (with Harry)...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know you're going to be busy making wedding plans, but there's a new online wedding planning community that my friend works for. You should check it out, I wish I had it for my wedding.

http://www.weddingwire.com

Love the blog.

Jhong Ren said...

Hi,

I love reading your blog and look forward to reading your blog everyday.

I would like to get permission to link you from My Wedding Blog (www.romance-fire.com)

Wondering if it is ok with you?

I have a small favor to ask you too. I'm just wondering if it is ok with you to link me from your blog?

Thank you very much and I want to wish you greater success to your company!!! :)

Cheers,

Jhong Ren

The Wedding Fairy said...

Thanks for the suggestion re: weddingwire - I'll definitely check it out!

Jhong Ren - I have posted your blog link under "My Favorite Links" - I would very much appreciate your adding my link to your site - I love it, and keep up the good work!

Thanks to all for the commments/link exchange proposals/etc...keep 'em coming!

Jhong Ren said...

thanks wedding fairy..love ur blog too!!! thumbs up!!!

Rhonda said...

Hi Wedding Fairy! Congratulations on your engagement! I like reading your blog.

I also run a wedding blog, www.ourweddingplus.blogspot.com, if your interested in another link exchange let me know.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! on the engagement exciting stuff. I have a question on registry etiquette? I am basically going to a shot gun wedding this weekend. We ( my husband and I) were told about the wedding 2 weeks ago. We were informed that this was a casual event in which the groom won't even be dressing up. The bride is 6 months pregnant with her 3rd child and the grooms second child. The wedding is taking place at her fathers home where her father will be performing the union only close friends and family are coming and after the ceremony we are all going out to dinner in which we are paying for ourselves ( which is perfectly fine). My issue is that the bride says this isn't her real wedding that they are just getting married before the baby comes and later on they are going to have a real wedding. So with they quick union that was arranged in 2 weeks and the date and time was messaged to me by AOL instant message, and not by a mailed invitation ( that is how casual it is) Is it appropriate for the bride to send out another instant message 3 days before her union that she is registered at the most expensive places that you can register at? I mean am I out of line to think that she should hold off on the registry stuff for her real wedding? I mean the guest at this upcoming union are basically paying for themselves at the dinner and then on top of it get an expensive wedding gift...when it's not even the real wedding? any thoughts?