Friday, August 03, 2007

ENTOURAGE: NOT JUST A TV SHOW ANYMORE (PART II)

I received a very intelligent question, which prompted me to expand upon the concept of the "Entourage", in an effort to clarify my original post. I hope this reader doesn't mind that I repeat part of her question in this post, but I think the question is a good one:

" How many is it before its classed as an entourage? I had my mum, my best friend, sister and cousin. And none of them were expendable, they were the closest people in the world to me and I wanted their opinions. We were not screeching at each other however, nor crowding the mirrors. I don't think the shops in Oz are set out like the ones over there, they are either tiny shops (you're the only appointment in there) or they're quite large, and you get your own little area with chairs and such...."

Dataceptionist, I think your bridal shopping party sounds like it was lovely. In your case, it sounds like 4 was a perfect number, as they were people you loved and trusted (and wouldn't simply give you "ooohhhs" and "aahhhhs" -- of course, they would where appropriate, but they would ALSO tell you the truth if they DIDN'T like a dress), AND they were polite and, well, BEHAVING THEMSELVES! From your description, there is NO WAY that the entourage concept fits in with your group.

There's no hard and fast rule or formula in my mind as to the "right" and "wrong" number of people to invite to help a bride search for "the dress". We all know the phrase "size matters". In the case of an entourage, it's really the COMBINATION of a large size PLUS the HUGE ATTITUDES of the parties who comprise the group.

If a group of 10 walks in, are completely non-pushy and calm, don't horde mirrors and crowd out other brides shopping in the bridal stores, then that 10, in my opinion, is more of a benign group rather than an "ENTOURAGE". I don't have a problem with a large party in and of itself -- it's when the.....

.... group of 10 walks in and BEGINS TO TAKE OVER THE JOINT? THAT'S what really pushes my buttons.

A group of 4? 6? While it's my personal preference not to take more than 2 people along (which is how I did it, and it worked for me), it's not so much the group size as the combination of size and attitude which ends up being the problem.

Dataceptionist, you also talked about how dress stores in Australia sounded different than those in the US. The type of store definitely plays a factor in how well big groups work. In the US, at least the stores I've visited in New York, there are often other brides around trying on dresses, in not such a large space. There were some stores that were very small and really only could have one bride there at a time. The experience really depended on the type of store, as well as the number of people in it at once time.

I hope this helps clarify my previous post. SIZE MATTERS..... WHEN YOU HAVE PUSHY, UNATTRACTIVE PERSONALITIES IN THE PARTY.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

brittany said...

I work in an Orlando bridal salon and completely agree that a group of 2-4 is best! Who needs that many opinions, really? With large groups, the bride usually ends up getting upset or confused and leaves without making a decision. Great post!

chrissie said...

I took 2 people with me: my mom and my best friend/maid of honor. I totally agree that the entourage detracts from the experience! Actually, I felt like we didn't get quite-as-good service since we were only buying one dress (mine) as opposed to the 10-12 for those who brought along all of their bridesmaids.

Never teh Bride said...

I regret a teeny bit that I bought my dress online and missed out on the whole shopping-with-loved-ones experience. But I hate shopping and my mom lives in another state. On top of that, most of my friends are guys and my sisters were thousands of miles away. I also picked my dress without consulting anyone about it... but it might have been nice to have a whole gaggle of ladies at my side.