Monday, August 06, 2007

ENTOURAGE: NOT JUST A TV SHOW ANYMORE (CONCLUSION)

Choosing one's wedding dress, as I've said before, is a BIG freaking deal. You're spending hundreds, and possibly thousands of dollars on a gown, and there are an endless variety of designers and styles from which to choose.

Mermaid or A-Line? Ballgown or Sheath? Hell, I was even ruminating over a beautiful, beautiful dress that HAD A HOOP SKIRT. It sounds crazy, but as I've seen in this business, ANYTHING GOES.

I also found, during the trying-on process, that I entered the experience with an ideal dress in my head (or at least ideal styles), and ended up with something completely different. The truth of the matter is, you never know what's going to look good until you try things on. Which means trying on things that you completely thought you'd hate, or wouldn't look good on you.

To put everything in a nutshell, it's NOT an easy process for many. Some are lucky enough to find "the dress" on the first day (like my sister did), and others are not (after going to an endless array of stores, I was confused and discouraged).

Having a great support system is a wonderful thing. For me, my mother was that person, and my sister helped solidify what we had originally thought about the dress I wanted to buy (and my sister is brutally honest, so if she didn't like it, she would have told me so--albeit tactfully).

The point of the matter is asking "how many is too many"? If you think 12 people is really what you need in order to get honest feedback, and those 12 are super important to you, that's your prerogative. However, one ought to keep in mind that you may not be the only one at the store, and it's not fair for others shopping to have to work around a large party of people, as well as LISTEN to an an endless array of OHHHS and AHHHHS.

On a more selfish note, I am VERY possessive about who has gotten to see my dress before the wedding. Only my immediate family members have seen the dress (or a picture of the dress), as well as one friend whose wedding is on the same day (so I know she won't be coming, unfortunately). If I brought 12 people to look for my dress, that's 12 fewer people who will feel that element of surprise the minute I walk down the aisle. Not to be "that bride", but I DO want to create a reaction when people see me for the first time - after all, why else are we spending so much money on something we'll wear once?

In sum, an "entourage" is something I think is unnecessary and, as one commenter aptly noted, unhelpful in the dress-selection process. And, an entourage can be disturbing to others who are shopping. If a large group is what a bride needs, then that's cool, too....as long as that group doesn't steal the spotlight from the others trying to find their dream dress as well AND that group actually HELPS, rather than HINDERS, a bride in finding "the one".

Stay tuned!

No comments: