Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A WEDDING FAIRY QUESTION: GUEST BOOKS - USEFUL OR WASTE OF SPACE?

IF I had all the money in the world, *THIS* would be my "guestbook":


Photo is courtesy of Stuben, the maker of this beautiful work of art.

I think this (for those of you who don't feel like going to the link, it's a glass bowl that guests can literally etch their signatures into) is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL signature piece, and such an interesting, unique way of handling the guest book situation.

I'm trying to figure out whether a guest book is necessary, useful or [insert any positive adjective here].

I understand the point of them, for sure -- but when I go to weddings, I NEVER really know what to WRITE. Getting too personal feels uncomfortable to me, but writing "Congratulations! We're so excited for you!" also feels--well--boring.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the guest book concept -- I'm having an internal debate right now about the necessity of having one (given my experience as a guest with them -- and how whatever I end up writing never seems to be all that memorable), and if people have alternative ideas.

Just to clarify, however: I AM OBVIOUSLY NOT GETTING THE CRYSTAL ETCHABLE BOWL, as I am not part of Women Entertainment's "Platinum Wedding" show!!!

Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, that bowl is something else...sigh, if only money was no object. I’m also struggling with the “guest book” idea. Martha Stewart Weddings has quite a few ideas for non traditional guest books (go to marthastewart.com and type “guest book” in the search and there are well over 1000 links), but I'm wondering if you can take the bowl idea and make it more affordable. They do have “glass etching” pens available at craft stores, you could purchase a more affordable bowl (or serving plate, etc) and one of these paint pens and have not only be a useable piece in your home, but will leave a lasting impression of everyone who was a guest at your wedding without the pressure of writing a personal, but not to personal message.

Linda said...

I agree. I'm not sure if we'll have a guest book. If we do we'll probably do the signature mat. I like the etching idea, but it might be intimadating to some guests.

Anonymous said...

Lowes sells the pen for really cheap (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=186500-56005-70088&lpage=none) and then I'm sure you can go to Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel for the bowl/plate of your wishes. Of course, one should test it before the big day to be sure!

An idea is to use your monogram or whatever your theme is and etch it into the serving plate (if you have enough space). That way you've pulled the theme through and allowed people to write around it.

Anonymous said...

what is the link to see that bowl and that pen? Anybody know the cost?

Dataceptionist said...

We had a platter that everyone signed, there was only space for names so no one had to feel awkward about what to write and it now hangs on our wall. It was a great idea. I've been to that many weddings where we've seen the guestbook go around, but never quite gotten to the signing part.
Having it on display also means when guests come over they can look for their name :)

Katy said...

I read about an idea for a guestbook that is cheesy, but different. You can set out those disposable polaroid cameras with sticky stuff on the back of the pictures. Then the guests can take pictures of themselves or each other and stick the photos in the book. Hey, a picture says a thousand what?

kellyml3 said...

Hey, I need your help. I saw this crystal etchable bowl in one of my MANY bridal magazines, but now I have misplaced it!

I would love to know who makes this bowl and how to get it. Any aid you can give would be much appreciated!

Thanks

The Wedding Fairy said...

Hello Kellyml!

The bowl is made by Steuben -- If you go to www.steuben.com, you should be able to find the bowl there, or at least a phone number so you can call customer service to ask them how to obtain it.

Good luck with it! It's absolutely beautiful.