Monday, February 11, 2008

"THE TASTING" -- YOU'VE GOT SERVED.... (PART I)

So here are some of the issues that I'm grappling with, based on the idea that your choices affect your guests--whether directly or indirectly.

**CALLING ALL VEGETARIANS**

As one poster rightly pointed out, vegetarian "options" are oftentimes afterthoughts--instead of yummy meals that the rest of us get. During my tasting, I am going to make sure that (a) vegetarian options are available AND (b) that they will actually TASTE GOOD - and not simply be a mish mash of veggies on a plate.

**KOSHER/OTHER DIETARY RESTRICTIONS? GET IT COVERED**

The last thing you want is a guest who cannot enjoy himself due to their religious or cultural practices. Sure, you don't have to have a kosher meal for everyone at your wedding, but it's definitely important to make sure your caterer or venue has that option available. Same thing with any other dietary restriction due to one's beliefs.

**ALLERGIES, ALLERGIES, ALLERGIES**

OK. So you aren't going to know whether certain of your guests will break out into hives if they are served seafood---or peanuts---or [insert food here]. However, if you DO know if a certain allergy that a good friend or family member may have, address it with the caterer at your tasting--or well before your tasting, if possible--to make sure that you can figure out a menu that makes sense, or an alternative for those particular individuals who need to eat something else. It is definitely your wedding, your day--- but it's always good to think about these issues before the big day....


So these concepts may seem like COMMON SENSE, but sometimes these issues slip through the cracks at or even before a tasting. Why? Because you're thinking of ten zillion other things, and during the tasting, there are other issues that you have to deal with (like the actual food you are trying!).

A good hostess not only keeps guests happy and entertained the day of the wedding, but makes sure that all goes to plan by dealing with issues beforehand.

Talk to your caterer about any and all concerns you have -- you're paying a hell of a lot for their services, so make sure to open your mouth and say what you need to stay. Your guest will thank you for it!

Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Dealing with food allergies is something I relate to. My FI is lactose intolerant. I need to make sure that the food is something he can eat.
I noticed when I specified lactose free when I was looking for caterers, the price jumped considerably. Now, I just tell them no we don't want that when a dish contains dairy.

Never teh Bride said...

I was so lucky that I found a caterer who could do vegetarian meals that were more than brown gack. Being that The Beard and I are veggies, we decided to go with a vegetarian buffet and it was AWESOME, full of sweet curry and stuffed shrooms and interesting sauces and other entrees and apps.

purple haired puppet lady said...

My mom has quite a severe allergy to wheat, so I ended up baking a gluten-free cake for her and my cake baker decorated it match the rest of the cake. It was a great solution for us and made sure my mom was included in being able to enjoy the cake!

Lisa said...

Yeah, one of my bridesmaids is a vegetarian and I will definitely ask them about vegetarian options.

melanie said...

how do you about finding out if people eat kosher or are allergic to certain things? on the rsvp card??

Katelyn said...

Wow – please let me tell you "Don't Be That Bride" is more than a breath of fresh air – it is an ocean of it.

(Not to mention, I am also a career girl trying to make it in the big bad city).

You are going to love this -

Finally - a new kind of green wedding registry and favor, www.ChangingThePresent.org/weddings.

The site allows couples to register for “charitable gifts” from hundreds of leading nonprofits.

For example a couple could register to protect an acre of wilderness with the National Resources Defense Council, give a child her first book, or sponsor care for a orphan chimpanzee with In Defense of Animals. There are thousands of these charitable gifts.

If you have any advice for how we could get spreading the word, that would be great.

Really love your work here...

Very best,
Katelyn
kclapham@wellgoodllc.com