Thursday, March 13, 2008

THE TASTING - YOU GOT SERVED (PART III)

So now it's time to get into the wedding cake.

Wedding cakes can be absolutely beautiful and breathtaking -- but edible? That's a different story.

Take, for example, the beautiful cake that is pictured - I wish I could just break through this photo and take a bite of the cake - I'd be SO curious to try something that looks so amazingly constructed -- out of fondant.

I don't really get the allure of fondant, to be honest. Every time I have tried a cake made in this manner, it has been rubbery and tasteless to me. Sure, the cake *looks* amazing--with flowers that you'd *swear* were real (but are actually not!)--but the taste? Yuck.

We're doing buttercream frosting, which means that we probably won't have as glamorous of a cake. Buttercraem, to us, tastes a whole lot better -- and we think our guests will actually enjoy the wedding cake, too.

Another reason we went with buttercream was that we really didn't care about the preservation issue. A lot of brides and grooms are sentimental, and freeze wedding cake after their wedding. TallGuy and I aren't really into the idea (and my feeling is that you should only maintain traditions you actually believe in), so we think that buttercream is the way to go.


I think that the bottom line about wedding cakes is it's all about what you are looking for. Whichever way you choose, I don't think guests will be disappointed. If you go with fondant and achieve an amazingly well-thought out look for your cake, guests will marvel at what it looks like (and who knows--maybe it will taste good too). If you go with buttercream, your guests will no doubt think it tastes great. There's always the compromise position of going with a little of both -- and that, of course, works too.

So many ideas, so little time. I'll let you know what our wedding cake ends up looking like--and tasting like---after our wedding in May (we had our amazing tasting, but the wedding cake filling favors and the like were NOT available for sampling!)

Stay tuned!

No comments: