Friday, June 27, 2008

COMMENTS ON A (MY) WEDDING: WHAT I LEARNED AND HOW I LEARNED IT (PART II)

Now that I've had some time to process what seemed like a dizzying, whirlwind few weeks (wedding and honeymoon), I've been able to think about what I want to write about and what thoughts/nuggets of advice I wish to convey.

Just for fun, I thought I'd write a post about things that surprised me on the wedding day and evening, now having gone through the process. I think this may help brides-to-be think about wedding planning in a different light, because these are certainly a few things I wasn't expecting to have happen....

1. CONGA LINES = SO NOT CHEESY.

So, if anyone told me I'd have a conga line at my wedding, I would have told them they were insane. I had this grand vision of this really elegant event in my head (much like a beautiful, intimate dinner party a la Pride and Prejudice - but with dancing to a great band), and ridiculous gimmicks like the chicken dance, the electric slide, and the conga line, were, well things I was REALLY trying to avoid.

At one point, the fantastic, fantastic band we used (anyone in NYC let me know, I can give you their name -- reasonable for a band, and so much fun - everyone was up on their feet all night) began to play one of my FAVORITE WEDDING BAND SONGS EVER -- "Jump in the Line" (Harry Belafonte).

You all know the song (I'm hoping)? It's the one from "Beetlejuice" when the dinner guests are all possessed and dancing at the dining room table ("Jump in the Line! Rock your body in time! OK I believe you!" "Shake Shake Shake Senora! Shake your body line!")? In any case, it's a wonderful, "get up and dance" kind of song which I had asked the band to play.

Imagine my surprise, then, when one of our guests started a conga line -- right there on the dance floor -- and EVERYONE dancing joined!!! I think there were about 30 people in a line on the floor at one point, and I'm telling you, it was one of the highlights of the night for me (I also got to lead the line, which was pretty cool :-))

To sum it up--things as spontaneous as a conga line may occur, which you may have thought were totally cheesy and totally weird beforehand---but at a wedding, when that much joy, and that much happiness is in the room? It totally works. If people start playing coke and 7 up..... you will know your guests are having fun!

2. "OH, SURE, I'LL EAT ALL NIGHT - STOP WORRYING!"

I've heard time and time again that brides don't have a chance to eat during their weddings. I was so not into believing that cliche, and completely fooled myself into thinking that I would chow down along with everyone else.

I don't know what it was- the nerves, the excitement, the complete whirlwind, or just lack of time because we were chatting up people... but I really struggled to sit down and eat all of the wonderful food our club provided. At one point, the captain (who was coordinating the event) gently suggested that TallGuy and I come eat our dinner since we were making the rounds greeting everyone.

We finally did -and I had some steak - but that was about it. It's not like I was trying NOT to eat -- it just was really difficult to see people and be a gracious host while downing a ton of food. My suggestion - try and get through cocktail hour if you can, and make sure to SIT your butt down - at least for 20 minutes or so - during dinner to eat. And have dessert!!!!

3. I'LL TOTALLY HAVE TIME TO TAKE EVERYTHING IN. TRUST ME! I WON'T FORGET A DETAIL OF MY WEDDING.

We had a huge beautiful flower arrangement in the cocktail room? The milk and freshly baked cookies were served by waiters to people on the dance floor? Um really? The wedding was SUCH an amazing night, but there are SO MANY things that I am just learning happened - through photographs of the room set up for the ceremony, through recollections of my friends, and a variety of other sources. Just take the time to sit back and enjoy everything that day/evening, but realize that it's almost impossible to take it all in at once -- you'll have photos and maybe video and friends and family to tell you about what happened that you may not have seen.

I find these impressions interesting, because I really thought I wouldn't be surprised after my wedding - but I was, on many levels. Remember to expect the unexpected as you plan - things are not always as they seem, but that doesn't always have to be a bad thing!

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Le said...

Please let me know who you used for your band. We are currently actively searching for ours. Thanks

Stephen @ Wedding Ideas said...

Your comments are very consistent with most brides - didn't eat, went by fast, etc.

I think it is great that you are sharing your experiences. Yes, the unexpected can definitely happen.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no way you will be able to control or remember everything. Try your best to enjoy the food and take a few moments to realize what is going on around you.

Dataceptionist said...

I remember a lot of the reception part of our wedding, but the actual ceremony was a total blur for me. I know it would have ran for about 40 minutes all up, but I honestly only had eyes for hubby, and I remember walking down the aisle, sitting down, and literally feeling like we had to stand up again, saying our vows back outside, we're done. It felt like it went for maybe ten minutes max.
I didn't expect that at all.

Hahaha we didn't have a conga line, but a song that means a lot to my sisters and cousin, The Time Warp was played, and I would never have beleived, that come the end of that song, I would "melt down" on the floor, IN MY WEDDING DRESS.
Its a fantastic memory from the night though.