Saturday, May 02, 2009

HELLO 30! THE WEDDING FAIRY'S "NEW WAVE" OF WEDDINGS (PART I)

I just turned 30. 30?! I feel old. It's not that I really think 30 is that old. I mean, if you think about it, 65 is the new 40.

Regardless, having reached this "mini-milestone" has given me a chance to look at weddings from the point-of-view of a "thirty year old" (yikes).


Now that I am a year out from my own wedding (double yikes - where did the time go?), it's interesting to reflect on my own experiences, and see how friends and family are dealing with their own situations.


In the past 6 months, I have 3 close friends, and 1 close family member (my brother!) who have gotten engaged. More wedding planning! Yay!

I'm happy to say that I absolutely adore my brother's fiance, and I am excited to help her through the process (with anything that she may want my help WITH, that is). I also love my friend's respective fiances, so everything seems all good.

At my 30th birthday party, I was speaking with one of those friends who is getting married. We were talking about Save the Dates - and she said to me something along these lines (after I complimented her on her "STD"): "Thanks! We were excited to send them out, but we of course only sent them to those we definitely knew we could invite. We're afraid people will talk and complain if they find out they didn't happen to get a save the date - and someone they knew did - but we don't want to run into an even more awkward situation later by biting off more than we could chew."

I thought that was so interesting. As the Wedding Fairy of a few months ago, I may have been overly worried about the "what if I offend a potential guest" thing -- but, I realize that my friend is 100% right -- I mean, what can you do? There are things that are just out of your control, and at some point, you just have to LET THINGS GO.

I guess that's something, upon looking back at my own wedding planning (and looking back at writing these posts), that I may not have kept in mind as much as I should have. SOMETIMES THINGS ARE BEYOND YOUR CONTROL.

It's important to remember that - why? Because it's not worth the stress and agita during your wedding planning if you feel like you need to walk on eggshells lest you offend someone.

I never believe I have advocated that before (i.e. the "walking on eggshells" approach), and I certainly don't now. BUT, I think now, being older (and probably not any wiser, but for sake of cliche, I'll say wiser too :), I realize that letting things go is a good way to live. Whether at work or at home. I used to stress out all the time at work about the silliest, littlest things. And guess what? Nothing bad would ever happen.

Bottom line - it's important to let go in life, no matter what element (wedding planning or work).


In any case, it was fun to hear about my friend's planning--and to receive her save the dates!

I'm looking forward to getting back into the throes of wedding planning -- or at least, living vicariously through my friends and family.

Planning my wedding to TallGuy was one of the most fun things I've ever done in my 30 years (though obviously, the wedding was more fun, which was the point of all of that hard work!).


As you read, please remember to relax and enjoy the process...I can only hope I can help even a teeny tiny bit along the way.


Stay tuned!

1 comment:

The Bridal BFF said...

Congrats on getting to the big 3-0! You're not getting older...just better girlie!