Saturday, November 14, 2009

A LESSON FROM ANTM - DON'T BE THAT (UNRECOGNIZABLE) BRIDE



OK. I'll confess. I watch America's Next Top Model (ANTM) more than I'd like to admit.

There's a "Cycle 13" marathon on today - the episode I'm watching now is the "makeover" session -- a "Ty Over" is in the works for each of these wannabe models. ("Ty Over" = a Tyra Banks' makeover -what, you've never heard of this term before? :)

I understand for models that it's important to get a "signature look". (And what's more entertaining on ANTM than the make over episode)?.

As I watched, I started thinking about how many brides end up trying a new hairdo, or wearing completely different makeup, on the day of their weddings -- and end up looking completely different then, well, themselves.


I understand the importance of wanting to look absolutely beautiful and amazing on the day of your wedding. Just make sure you stay true to yourself and, well, LOOK like yourself!

Don't get carried away by the idea of having an updo because you think it's more bridal. If you don't normally wear updos, or try it out and think you don't look like yourself? Take it out. Go natural.

Which is NOT to say I don't love updos. I do. And for some brides, they totally work. For me - it totally didn't, and I went with what was comfortable.

Love that MAC makeup shade that they use at your makeup trial - but you feel like something is 'Off"? Go with your instinct.

Bottom line - have a hair/makeup session done long before the wedding, to make sure you get what you want. Or, if you are trying to save money, do your hair/makeup yourself (or have a good friend or family member do it for you).

Guests want to be able to celebrate with the real you - not the you that you think they want to see! A "signature look" may work on a reality show - or even a catwalk - but not for walking down the aisle.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am TOTALLY on board with you on this. A friend of mine recently got married. She's got long, stick-straight, thin hair, she never wears makeup, and she lives in jeans and flip-flops.And she's a pretty girl just how she is.

But for her wedding, she had long,wavy hair extensions, a full face of make-up (including hair extensions) and a poofy ball gown. She looked very beautiful, but she looked nothing like HER.

Sukie said...

Totally agree. And also historically girls would get married with their hair down symbolising this is their last thing to do before they become a woman... nice image I think.

Anonymous said...

I agree with this to a point. The issue I have is that the "real me" would get really dressy for a formal affair... like a wedding! I won't look like I do on most days because well, this day is special and it's not "most days." Gosh some days I forget to wear make-up to work. However, I will not do something that isn't "my style." It's just going to be more of a "formal style," not my I'm-going-to-the-grocery store style. Yes, I will look different b/c most people have never seen me at a formal event before!